recipe by John Fothergill
- 1.5 cup soaked cashew
- Lemon juice of 1 large lemon
- 1.5 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 2 bunch spinach
- Parsley, basil, dill
- Manicotti shells
- Splash white wine
- Strained tomatoes
- Vegan cheddar style cheese
- Soak 1.5 cup cashew for approximately 3 hrs.
- Dice a bunch of shallots and garlic.
- Preheat oven to 375F and boil large pot of water (add salt once boiling).
- Saute 2 bunches of spinach (washed and stems removed) then set aside in a colander to remove excess water.
- Saute some shallot in EVOO till translucent then add garlic. Continue sauteing until shallots are slightly browned. Season with S&P. Add to mixing bowl for stuffing.
- Rough chop spinach then add to stuffing mixing bowl.
- Half cook approximately 10 Manicotti shells (approximately 7 minutes) in the boiling water. Set aside to cool.
- Zest a lemon. Set zest aside to use for mushrooms.
- Make the cashew ricotta by blending the cashews with juice from a large lemon and 1.5 tbsp of nutritional yeast. Season with S&P. Blend until creamy in texture adding cashew soaking water as needed.
- Add ricotta to stuffing mixing bowl. Combine.
- Saute shallots and garlic (as in step 5) then add 1 jar or 2 cans of strained tomatoes (no skins and no seeds). Simmer on low.
- Fine chop some dill and tear some basil. Add to tomato sauce.
- Coat bottom of large glass baking dish with a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- Stuff the cooled manicotti shells with stuffing mixture. Arrange each in the baking dish. Try not to squeeze them together.
- Stir sauce then cover Manicotti with it. If you totally cover pasta it won’t dry out when baking. Grate some cheddar style vegan cheese over Manicotti. Bake for 30mins.
- Rough chop a bunch of mushrooms of your choice and some parsley. Saute shallots and garlic as in step 5. Add mushrooms. Deglaze with white wine. Add some parsley saving some as garnish. Cook down.
- Remove cooked Manicotti from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve Manicotti on warmed plates. Top manicotti with mushrooms. Circle Manicotti with warmed EVOO. Garnish with remaining parsley.
Why go vegan?
- Animal agriculture results in the suffering of over 100 billion animals each year.
- Animal agriculture is the 2nd leading cause of climate change.
- Animal agriculture is the cause for 90% of rainforest deforestation.
- Animal agriculture is the cause of 75% of antibiotic resistance.
- Animal agriculture is the cause of at least 50% of heart disease and diabetes cases.
- Animal agriculture is the cause of at least 50% of most cancers.
- Animal agriculture uses at least 50% of our water reserves.
- Animal agriculture runoff is the leading source of water pollution and causes the majority of ocean dead zones.